Most people understand that running a small business requires business know-how, but most successful small business owners also possess some additional skills and qualities that help make running a small business easier.
Before you decide to start a small business, think about the qualities you possess, to help you be a more successful small business owner.
- To get your small business off and running you’ll have to motivate yourself to get things started.
- Small businesses provide constant challenges.
- Creative problem solving is a key skill for small business owners to possess.
- Small business owners often have to juggle lots of hats.
- Recognize which skills you need to develop in order to run your small business most effectively.
- Running a small business is a lot of work and effort, and it’s often a long term commitment.
- A good small business idea addresses a problem, need or pain that a particular group of people or companies face that is significant enough to warrant spending money to solve or alleviate.
- Learn everything you can about the other small businesses in your field that provide similar products or services to the same ideal customer.
- Does my small business offer what the competition doesn't and what makes my services or product unique?
- A small business cannot survive without a constant supply of new customers. Learn how to close deals without using pressure to ensure you’ll have all the customers you need.
- Setting goals is an important part of any small business plan.
- Not all small businesses require a lot of start-up money. Be realistic about how much money you’ll need, and how much time it will take until you can draw a salary; so that you give your small business idea enough time to grow and flourish.
- Have a written small business plan, if I need to raise startup capital.
- Successful small business owners have a knack for managing staff. They inspire their employees rather than intimidate them.
There are always financial risks involved in a small business. Make sure you analyze the risks before jumping in.
Here are some small business articles on starting a small business to help you on your way.
pros & cons of small business
A small business can be started at a very low cost and on a part-time basis. Small business is also well suited to local marketing because it can be very manageable to serve a niche.
pros & cons of small business read more >>>
small business considerations
A person who has started a small business is generally inexperienced and lacks knowledge about the knowhow of the market the small business wishes to enter. In such conditions, they can always seek help from small business counsellors or their seniors and experienced small business holders.
small business considerations read more >>>
small business focus
A plan for your small business is useful if you want to focus yourself and get an overall picture of what you have to do in order to build your small business. On top of that, a good small business written plan is an absolute must if you want to convince institutions or individuals to loan money or invest in your small business.
small business focus read more >>>
small business funding
Every small business finds itself looking for small business funding at one point or another. Finding the funding or money to expand your established small business can be a tricky, time-consuming process – and you still may not find or secure the small business funding you need.
small business funding read more >>>
small business marketing
In plain and simple terms, marketing activities and strategies result in making products available that satisfy customers while making profits for the companies that offer those products. That's it in a nutshell! A small business has to continually market their goods and services to ensure survival.
small business marketing read more >>>
small business stats
In 2005, there were approximately 25.8 million small business units in the United States, according to Office of Advocacy estimates. Census data show that there were 5.8 million firms with employees and 18.6 million without employees in 2003, the most recent year with data.
small business stats read more >>>
starting a small business
So you’re thinking about starting a small business. It could be one of the most important steps you’ll ever make. Before you make the decision to proceed, you may want to consider the pros and cons of launching your small business.
starting a small business read more >>>
steps to starting a small business
The final result of marketing strategy small business planning is an action plan for moving your products and/or services to the final consumers. Elements of the marketing plan for your small business should include the following:
steps to starting a small business read more >>>
thinking of starting a small business
Thinking of starting a small business? You’re on the right track. There’s a lot of thinking to be done before you start your own small business. Starting a small business is one of those huge, life-altering events. Think of it as a marriage; running a successful small business takes the same depth of commitment and desire.
thinking of starting a small business read more >>>